Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Game Review #1

Well, I decided I had to review a game eventually, it just took forever to figure out which one.  I thought about doing ME or ME2, but decided that all I'd be doing is echoing the critics.  You want my review of them anyway?  Buy them now.  There, I'm done.  That was easy.  Now on to the full-length review.

Spider-Man: Shattered Dimensions

What kind of geek would I be if I didn't play comic book video games?  Anyways, I'm going to start by getting something big off my chest.  A lot of people, (or at least very vocale people on IGN) are bashing the game because it has no open-world.  My response:  SUCK IT UP! Not every great Spider-Man game has to have open world! GET A GRIP!  There.  I'm done.  Now to move on:

SM: SD is about four Spider-Men working together to find the fragments of the Tablet of Order and Chaos and reassemble it before reality as they know it is destroyed.  However, there are complications as many of the various villians of the realities find the fragments, and discover that they can give them new, frightening, and powerfull abilities.  Therefore, the Spider-Men must defeat them in order to regain the fragments.  But, what happens when the heroes fail to realise one of their most deadly adversaries knows about the Tablet, and knows that they are collecting pieces of it?  And if one fragment gives the enemies new abilities, what wolud happen if one got hold of the entire Tablet?  Thus the story goes.  It admitttedly isn't much, but I think you're meant to focus on the story within the levels, rather then the one for the overall game.  But they did not hesitate in varying up what new powers the villians were given.  Kraven gets lightning-fast speed, Scorpion 2099 gets the ability to create little miny forms of himself, (gross, I know) and Hammerhead Noir has his guns fused to his arms.  The four Spider-Man you play as are Amazing (mainstream Spidey), Ultimate (teenage Spidey in current times), Noir (from the 1930's) and 2099 (from the future).  Each has their own reality, gameplay style, art direction, and villians.  Amazing uses his agility and powerful web-based attacks, Ultimate dons the Venom suit, turning him into a one-man army who  can turn his suit into tendrils that whip the enemies, 2099, who is more of a hand-to-hand fighter, and Noir relies on stealth, due to his lack of stamina.  Ultimate also recieves a Rage Mode, which adds to his already considerble attack power, and 2099 has Accelerated Vision, which allows him to slow down time.  Each Spider-Man does play diffrently, but without feeling gimicky.  The differences between them feel very natural.  The graphics are great, with each world looking noticably different from the others.  Amazing looks like a pencil and ink comic, Ultimate is cel-shaded, 2099 is filled with neon and bright colors, and Noir has a grainy, black-and-white look.  Each has anincredible design, and every location feels different from the last.  Weather you're fighting on an oil rig as Ultimate, swinging through 2099's Nueva York, or traversing the jungle as Amazing, each location is very impressive.  So overall, it was a great game, especially for Spider-Man fans, even without open-world, which I personally think it was better without.  My advice is that all Marvel fans should at least rent it.  It truely was the most Amazing, Spectacular, Sensational Spider-Man game I've ever played.  And yes, the joke in that last sentence was intentional.  And now, Stan Lee and I proudly say: Excelsior!

No comments:

Post a Comment